Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Spelt Bread!




I made my first batch of spelt bread ever! I ordered some dough enhancers from King Arthur Flour. So I made a batch using Mom's bread recipe. I used less water and oil, as spelt flour needs less liquid than wheat flour. I used vital wheat gluten, lecithin, ascorbic acid and diastic malt powder. I'm not sure I added them at the proper time, but the results aren't bad. As you can see from the picture, the bread isn't too dense. I used 1/2 white spelt and 1/2 wheat spelt. It rises more rapidly than wheat dough, especially when using a quick rise yeast. It only took 15 minutes for the first rise and 10 for the second! Yay! That makes for some quick bread! Ashley tried a piece and got excited. It passed! She has always eaten just about any bread I give her. I guess to her, bread is bread! We will see what Alona and Jeff think when they try it.
Here is the recipe:

This recipe is for a white (wheat) bread. I have listed the recipe how my mom wrote it and added the changes for spelt in parenthesis. It makes great white bread.

Makes 3 good size loaves

4 cups warm water (I used 3 1/2 with spelt flour)
2 pkgs or 2 Tablespoons yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
2 Tablespoons oil (I used 1 1/2 T olive oil with spelt)

Put above ingredients in a large bowl (or 5-6 quart stand mixer bowl). Let sit for a minute or two. The yeast will start to dissolve.
Add 6 cups flour (I added 3 cups each white and whole spelt) and stir. (At this point I added some lecithin, vital wheat gluten, diastic malt, and ascorbic acid. not sure if that is when they should be added, but turned out fine) Slowly add more flour until you have to knead - it will take 4-6 cups more. (I used between 3 and 4 cups, half whole spelt, half white spelt). Knead for 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Let rise till doubles in size-up to 45 minutes. (mine only took 15 minutes, wheat flour takes longer) Gently pull dough out of bowl (no need to punch dough- it should deflate just taking it out onto the counter), divide into 3 sections and shape into 3 loaves. Put in greased bread pans and let rise up to 30 minutes(it may not take that long). preheat oven to 350˚F. Bake loaves 30-40 minutes. Remove from pans and brush tops with butter.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to have your positive comments! Thank you. :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin