Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chocolate Chip Spelt Cookies



I made these cookies today. Spelt needs less liquid than wheat, so I didn't quite get enough in there this time. I think I usually use about 1/4 cup more flour in this, but I think I didn't due to measuring mixups.

This is a recipe that originally called for all purpose (wheat) flour. I only changed the flour. Here is the recipe:

Chocolate Chip Spelt Cookies

Yeilds approximately 3 dozen to 60 depending on size

Ingredients:

* 2 1/2- 2 3/4 cups spelt flour (you can do any combination of white/whole flour)
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
* 3/4 cup granulated sugar
* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 large eggs
* 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
* 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

TIPS:
I used 1/2 white, 1/2 whole spelt in this batch. I have used all whole spelt and they were delicious.

Because spelt has a nuttier flavor than wheat, I don't use nuts. I probably wouldn't anyway. The spelt gives them a REALLY good flavor - in my opinion.

I am pretty sure I used 2 1/2 cups of flour this time, so maybe I usually use 1/4 extra spelt per 1 cup when replacing wheat flour.

I use the middle sized Pampered Chef scoop when putting the cookies on the cookie sheet. You can get a similar sized scoop at any kitchen store. I think it is about 2 tablespoons. I do not round the scoops.

I usually cook them for about 8 minutes. This gives a fairly soft cookie. I am not into cripsy cookies.

These are not puffy cookies. They are very flat. The chips stand up above the cookies. They are so delicious.


If you are looking to use spelt flour, it can pretty much replace wheat flour in a recipe, you will either need to use more flour or less liquid (and eggs and oil count as liquid). In breads, you will get a lower, more dense loaf. Spelt should also not be overworked. It is more fragile than wheat. It does make wonderful baked goods!

Remember, wheat has been changed to be more readily grown and used. Spelt is pretty much what it originally was. It doesn't grow anywhere under any conditions, like wheat. If you want a grain similar to wheat that isn't a highly changed hybrid, spelt is your grain!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to have your positive comments! Thank you. :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin